VSIP eligibility


 Q. Due to reaching my mandatory removal date while on an Active Guard Reserve tour, I did not have the necessary active-duty time of 20 years to earn a full Army retirement. I was eligible for Army Separation Pay, which I received in 1998. Upon reaching age 60 in 2008, I began to pay back the separation pay so that I would be eligible for Army retirement pay. I have been an Army Civil Service employee since March 2004 and my organization has offered a Voluntary Early Retirement Authority/Voluntary Separation Incentive Pay. Am I eligible for it?

A. Any employee who is offered a VSIP can accept it, whether or not he is eligible to retire.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply