Creditable service for state time


Q. I worked for the Postal Service for 12 years and then resigned in 2005. If I had stayed, I would have had 20 years in this past August. After getting a state job, is there any way that I could use my years of federal service in conjunction with my state time toward retirement (early, etc.)?

A. No. However, if you didn’t ask for a refund of your federal retirement contributions, you could apply for a deferred annuity at age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply