Moved from CSRS to FERS


Q. I was hired in December 1984. I was first put under CSRS. I was moved to FERS in the 1990s. I was told at a retirement seminar that I can get the money back that I paid into CSRS. If this is true, what do I need to do to get the money?

A. No, it isn’t true. When you were first hired, you were put under CSRS Interim and the amount of CSRS deductions that were taken from your pay would have been the same as they would later be under FERS.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply