SSDI and special retirement supplement


Q. I retired under a Voluntary Early Retirement Authority in January 2009. I was also approved for Social Security disability in 2008. I’ve had 22 years under FERS, and I’m now 58. Should I have been receiving the special retirement supplement since I never applied for FERS disability?

A. Yes, because you are receiving a non-disability retirement, you should have begun receiving the special retirement supplement when you reached your minimum retirement age. You need to call OPM at 1-888767-6738 and talk to one of their benefits specialists.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply