CSRS lump sum


Q. In 1988, while I was a federal employee at the Defense Mapping Agency, I was enrolled in CSRS. Then, when the FERS plan became available (about 1988), I switched from CSRS to FERS. Then, in November 2000, I separated from the federal government. I have since been told that the money that I paid into CSRS is sitting there and that I can collect it. How can I obtain the money?

A. If you want a refund of all your retirement contributions (CSRS and FERS), you can do that by completing OPM Form 1496A, available at www.opm.gov/forms and sending it to the address on the form.

Alternatively, you can leave the money where it is and apply for a deferred annuity at age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply