Military buyback


Q. I served on active duty Air Force for 11 years, then in the Air National Guard for 12 years in Active Guard and Reserve status. I retired with 23 years and some change. I have been getting military retirement pay since. I have a GS civil service job now and I would like to know If I can buy back any of my military time to count toward retirement in my GS civil service job? If I can buy back any of my military time, will my military retirement pay change?

A. Yes, you can make a deposit to get credit for your active-duty service; however, when you retire from your civilian job, you would have to waive your military retired pay.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply