Social Security recalculation


Q. Will the Social Security office recalculate the amount I am getting monthly from Social Security?

I worked 10 years and earned 40 quarters to qualify for Social Security after I retired under CSRS. I feel that I should be getting more than the $140 I receive from Social Security every month. How do I request a recalculation of the amount I receive presently from Social Security?

I retired under the CSRS in March 1994 with 28 years of federal service. I was age 47 at the time and I took an early retirement because of base realignment and closure. I did not buy back my time I served in the Army from 1965 to 1968.

A. Do you have any basis for thinking that you should be getting a greater Social Security benefit than the one you are now receiving? Those benefits are based on your years of Social Security-covered service, your average indexed monthly earnings while covered, and the age at which you began receiving those benefits. You can call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 and see if they can determine if the amount you are receiving is correct.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply