Deferred retirement


Q. I resigned from federal service with 20 years as a WG-12 (age 45). I also had 26 years military (four active and 16 Guard). I was told that I could apply for a deferred retirement. Where can I find a calculator to see what my retirement would be when I reach age 62?

A. Your annuity would be calculated as if you had retired on the day you resigned from the government. Here’s the formula: .01 x the average of your highest three consecutive years of basic pay x your years and full months of service. Note: Unless you made a deposit to get credit for your active duty service, it wouldn’t be included in the computation of your annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply