Special retirement supplement


Q. I retired on a Voluntary Early Retirement Authority in January 2013. I turned 56 on Feb. 6. I understand I am eligible for the special retirement supplement. Do I need to notify/contact someone to get this processed? How long before I start receiving this benefit?

A. As a FERS retiree who has reached her minimum retirement age, you are entitled to the special retirement supplement and don’t need to notify anyone. I can’t tell you how long it will be before the SRS is included in your monthly annuity payment. However, if it is delayed, the SRS payment will be retroactive to the first month in which you were eligible to receive it.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply