Drawing Social Security while still working: CSRS


Q. I work for the Postal Service with 35 years of service, covered under CSRS and I turned 62 in June. I have 40 quarters of work in under Social Security. Can I file to draw my Social Security benefits while I am still working full time under CSRS, since they get offset to almost nothing when I retire?

A. You could apply for a Social Security benefit. However, because you’d exceed the Social Security earnings limit, that benefit would be reduced by $1 for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. In 2014, that limit is $15,480.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply