Credit for CSRS service


Q. I joined the federal government on Dec. 19, 1983, under CSRS and later switched to FERS in January 1988. No social security was paid in from 1984 to 1987. I am planning to retire now, and this is my first and last job in the federal government.

Will my 4 years of service under CSRS ( 1984-1987) will be credited to FERS?

A: Yes. Because you had fewer than five years of CSRS service when you switched to FERS, that time was converted to FERS service. At that time, the retirement deductions you paid into CSRS were converted to FERS deductions, with .8 percent going to FERS and 6.2 percent going to Social Security.


About Author

Leave A Reply