Temporary time


Q. I was on a worker trainee, temporary appointment from August 27, 1981, to September 30, 1982. Do I have to buy back that time for it to be calculated in my retirement?

A. Non-deduction service performed before October 1, 1982, is considered creditable service for determining your length of service. You can either make a deposit, including accrued interest, to get credit for that time in your annuity computation or have your annuity reduced by 10 percent of the amount you owe, plus accrued interest.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply