Leave for school


Q. I have been working for the government more than 20 years. Can I take leave without pay to go back to school full-time for nine months?

A. You can request LWOP. However, the decision to grant it is in your supervisor’s hands, as guided by agency policy. If what you study would increase your value to the agency, the chances of LWOP being granted would be greater than if it didn’t.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply