Survivor annuity


Q. I was granted a Federal survivor’s annuity in 1993 because my husband passed away and had 20 years of service with the federal government. I am 52 and plan to remarry. I know that my survivor annuity will be terminated because I am under 55, but I am unsure as to whether it can be reinstated if my new husband passes away. I have seen this question answered two ways – that it can be reinstated if there is a death or divorce and also that the annuity can only be reinstated if the marriage is terminated by divorce. Which is the correct answer?

A. The survivor annuity can be restored if the marriage ends in divorce, annulment or death. You’ll find the rule at Just scroll to Section 71A2.1-4B.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

1 Comment

  1. For an answer to your question, you’ll have to call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213.

Leave A Reply