Special retirement supplement


Q. I am a postal employee under FERS.  I am 58 years old and will have 29 years 11 months and two weeks when I retire, but with my four years of service I bought back and sick leave I will have 34 and a half years for my annuity. My question, being two weeks short of 30 years’ service, will I receive the SRS? One person from HR told me that I won’t because you need 30 years and they go by years and don’t round up. Another person from HR said I will get it and they do round up to give me the 30 years.

A. If you have at least 30 years of service — actual and active duty for which you’ve made a deposit — you’ll receive the special retirement supplement when you retire. FYI: The SRS will be based solely on your actual service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply