Military buyback


Q. I am working as a civil servant after retiring from the military. If I buy back my military time (21 years), will I be eligible for the FERS Social Security supplement at my minimum retirement age of 56? I would have a total combined service of 35 years?

A. Yes. However, your special retirement supplement would be based solely on your years of FERS employment. Active-duty service for which you’ve made a deposit, wouldn’t be included in that calculation.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply