Retirement after RIF


Q. I am 58 and was RIF’d in August 1996. I started work in 1988 and also have four years military service; however, I didn’t make a deposit to get credit for it. Can I do that now? Is it possible for me to apply for a FERS retirement this year?

A. No, you can’t make a deposit now. Only employees can make a deposit. Since you only have 8 years of creditable service, you won’t be eligible for a deferred annuity until you reach age 62. That’s assuming that you didn’t ask for a refund of your retirement contributions when you left. If you did, you wouldn’t be eligible for any retirement benefit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply