Buyback of part-time work


Q. I am employed with DHS since November 2005. I was previously employed by the USSMA at Kings Point as a coach, from September 1990 till the end of the season in March 1991. Is it possible to purchase back this time? If so, how would I do that? I can not recall my salary. It was only a few thousand dollars. I assume it was considered a part-time position.

A. Unfortunately, you can’t get credit for that time. Non-deduction service performed on or after Jan. 1, 1989, isn’t creditable for either eligibility or computation purposes.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply