Creditable service


Q. I worked as a temporary employee not to exceed 1 year, but was renewed for a second time, from September 1983 to April 1985, which at that time was converted to full employment status. From September 1983 to April 1985 I did not have my government contribution taken out.

My question is, can I pay this back now, and if so, who do I contact to do so?? All my inquiries have resulted in them telling me wait till I retire, but if I can pay back I would like to do so before retirement.

A. Yes, you can make a deposit to get credit for that time. And it’s better to do that now than to wait until you retire because the interest you’ll owe continues to mount with each passing year. To start the ball rolling, go to and download a copy of Standard Form 2803, Application to Make Deposit or Redeposit. Fill it out and send it to OPM. (The address is on the form.) OPM will let you know how much you owe. Then you can decide if you want to make the deposit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply