Refund for buyback of military time


Q. I have 9 years and 10 months of active-duty military time, and 10 years of federal government time. I left the federal government 15 years ago. I was buying back my military time, but I didn’t finish paying it off before I left the federal government. Can I get the money back that I paid into buying my time since I didn’t finish, or shall I look into trying to finish paying it off? I took my annuity and rolled it over. Am I ineligible for any FERS benefits when I retire from this nonfederal job?

A. No, you aren’t eligible for any FERS benefits. Yes, you can request a refund of the money you paid to get credit for your active-duty service. To do that, write OPM at the following address:
Retirement Operations Center
Boyers, PA 16017-0045
On the envelope write: Attention: Military Deposit Refund


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to



    I did buy back my time !! now opm is saying thier have not got my payed in full letter !! where can i get the payed in full letter ! I have talked to DFAS-CLEVEIAND !! HOW CAN I GET THIS LETTER !!!

      • Demy Malano on

        I mailed the Notice of Military Service Deposit Payment Completion memo and a copy of my LES. Hopefully I receive my refund.

  2. I retired from the Air Force Reserve in 2017. I started my military buyback thinking it would be advantageous. It works out I am turning 60 and will have 11 years of FERS service and 9 years of creditable military active duty to buy. Now I have more knowledge and it is showing if I retire now with MRA + 10, there is only about a $150 difference in retirement pay between the two. My question is do I have to waive a Reserve retirement pay with a FERS retirement? I don’t think I do. Thanks for the previous answer on getting the buyback money refunded.

Leave A Reply