Creditable civilian service


Q. I have been a FERS employee since June 1986. I also have seven years active duty that I have paid back for retirement. Does the seven years also count toward creditable civilian service or only the 29 years I currently have? And if I retire in June 2016 after I’ve turned 56 years old, would I only have 30 years of creditable service to determine the annuity supplement, or would I have 27 years?

A. The active duty service for which you paid a deposit counts toward your total length of service and will be used in your annuity computation. However, it will not be used in determining the special retirement supplement. That’s because the SRS is paid by the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund — not Social Security.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply