Deferred retirement


Q. I was born in 1967. I’m covered by FERS and want to retire at the age of 55 when I’ll have 34 years of federal service. Will I take a huge hit in my annuity?

A. Because you were born in 1967, your minimum retirement age is 56 years and 6 months. Although you wouldn’t be eligible to retire, you could resign and apply for a deferred annuity when you reach your MRA. However, if you did that, you wouldn’t be eligible to receive the special retirement supplement nor would you be able to re-enroll in either the FEHB or FEGLI programs.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. But if he waited until his MRA then he could do a “postponed retirement” to age 60 and receive an unreduced FERS annuity and FEHB at age 60. Correct?

      • This is something I have been unclear on. I thought you can retire at any age with 30 years of service. At any rate, my husband will be at his MRA with 30 years of service. He would qualify for an immediate full retirement pension and special supplement and access to FERS, correct?

        • No, you can’t retire at any age with 30 years of service. Here are the age and service combinations a FERS employee needs to retire on an immediate annuity:
          62 with 5 years
          60 with 20
          MRA with 30
          MRA with 10, but with a 5 percent annuity reduction for very year the employee is under age 62.

Leave A Reply