Federal Employees Retirement System


Q. How do I avoid paying contributions into a federal retirement system which is paid to me on my LES? Why do I have to pay a minimum amount if I don’t plan to retire within the federal government?

A. Retirement deductions are required by law to be taken from an employee’s pay. There is no provision in that law for an employee to opt out. If you separate government, you can ask for a refund of those contributions, which will be paid to you with interest.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply