Receiving annuity after retirement


Q. I am currently 60 years old. I want to start drawing my federal retirement at age 62. If I leave federal service before age 62 — because I am offered a job in the private sector or as a contractor with the federal government — what is the proper federal retirement paperwork to file to ensure I start getting my FERS retirement annuity at age 62?
A. If you have at last 20 years of service, you could retire now. If you have fewer than 20 years of service, you could apply for a deferred retirement at age 62. Whether you apply for retirement now or later, you’ll need to fill out Standard From 3107, available at If you apply later, send that form in two months before you reach age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply