Retirement deductions


Q. I was a student aide at the EPA in the late 80s and early 90s. Back then, student aides were federal employees, not under a separate contract. My time as a student shows up in my service computation date. I don’t know if retirement deductions were taken from my pay. I was half-time or less during the school year, but full time in the summers.

A. You’ll have to fill out Standard Form 3108, Application to Make Service Credit Payment (available at and send it to OPM. They’ll let you know if you owe anything for that period of service and, if you do, how much it would be.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply