Service computation date


Q. I would like to know if the service computation date changes immediately once I begin buying back my time or once I payoff the time? The other question I have is about leave accrual. I know some folks that have begun paying back their deposit and they have had their SCD adjusted plus they also start accumulating leave at the SCD adjustment rate.

A. That confusion is based on the fact that there are two service computation dates. The first SCD is the one used to determine your years of service for leave accrual. Active duty service for non-retired members of the military is included in that, but only if they have provided proof of that service to heir personnel office. The second SCD is used to determined your years of service for retirement purposes. You only receive credit for it when you have completed the deposit to cover that period of active duty service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. Timothy Bozoki on

    I’m afraid the answer is that your SCD will not change for FERS retirement until OPM adjudicates your retirement package.

    I just retired 1 Nov and OPM case in early February. You’ll get a nice summary booklet of your retirement from OPM. Here is where you’ll see your.military deposit time credited

  2. I am working on getting my DD 214 changed/characterized via a board for correction of military records. If/when it happens with a new DD 214 giving me credit for over 13 years of active duty time my service computation date changes by that amount of time. With that happening will my leave be adjusted retroactive? When I started in civil service I was not given credit for the military time and thus earned less leave per pay period. I am hoping that the leave will have to be given to me. I now have 25 years of federal civil service time on the books. I plan on buying back my military time, combining it all and having the combined 40 years shortly (the max that can figure into the retirement calculation). I carry over 360 years of annual leave and will earn about 200 in my final year. I know that those can be ‘paid out’ in the final year with the money figuring in on the high three calculation. Will I be able to get the adjusted leave for the military time and get that ‘paid out’ in my final year thus giving me quite a few extra dollars into the retirement calculation?

    • To the best of my knowledge, your annual leave will not be adjusted retroactively. As for your accumulated annual leave, it will neither be used in determining your high-3 nor your length of service. Instead, it will be paid to you in a lumps sum at the hourly rate in effect as if you had stayed on the job until the leave was used up.

Leave A Reply