Beneficiary change


Q. I have been retired for 16 years and want to change my beneficiary from my wife to my son. Is that something I can do?

A. If you are referring to a survivor annuity, the answer is no. Only a current spouse or former spouse can receive a survivor annuity. If you are, instead, referring to a life insurance policy, you can change the beneficiary designation at any time.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply