Annuity eligibility


Q. I am being separated by a RIF at four years and 11 months of creditable civil service. I am 61 years old. Can I use accrued annual leave to reach five years of “service” and thereby qualify for an annuity when I reach 62?

A. Unfortunately, no. You have to have five years of actual service to be vested in the retirement system. To meet that requirement, you’ll have to get another job with the government.

Note: When you leave, you’ll be given a lump-sum payment for your unused annual leave.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply