Q. I recently retired from CBP as a FERS retiree at 67 years of age. I want to take a six month, 1,039 hours job as a Ranger/guide at the local National Park. It seems I will lose my National Park Service salary because of my CBP annuity and basically be working for free. Is this correct?

A. Yes, it is. That’s because the salary of you new position would be offset (reduced) by the amount of your annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply