Deferred annuity


Q. My husband worked 16 years for the federal government and then left. He also had four years of active-duty service for which he wants to make a deposit. He plans on getting his retirement at 62. He says he can get all his benefits back, including medical, life insurance and a retirement annuity. Is that right?

A. Because your husband wasn’t eligible to retire when he left the government, he would only be eligible for a deferred annuity when he reaches age 62. That’s assuming he didn’t ask for a refund of his retirement contributions when he left. His annuity would be based on his actual civilian service. He wouldn’t be able to make a deposit to get credit for his active-duty service because only employees can do that. Further, when he does retire, he won’t be able to re-enroll in the Federal Employees Health Benefits program or the Federal Employee’s Group Life Insurance programs.



About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply