Survivor benefits


Q. I retired under CSRS offset and get a reduced Social Security pension. My husband worked for General Motors and retired with pension and Social Security. In the event that he dies, will I be able to switch to his Social Security?

A. Yes, provided his benefit is greater than yours. For more information on Social Security survivor benefits, go to


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply