1.1 multiplier


Q. I was told by my employer’s human resources specialist in charge of retirement and benefits that I will not get the 1.1 percent retirement at 20 years of service (when I reach 61 years old). He said I will get 1.1 percent after 20 years of service (starting at 21 years of service). Is that true?

A. Your HR is right. While you are eligible to retire on an unreduced annuity at age 60 with 20 years of service, the law states that you will only be entitled to the 1.1 percent multiplier if you retire at age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply