Special retirement supplement


Q. I’m a FERS employee. Will active-duty time in the military be included when computing my annuity and used in determining the amount of my special retirement supplement?

A. Your active-duty service will only be included in the computation of your annuity if you make a deposit to the civilian retirement system for that period of time. Whether or not you make a deposit, it won’t be included when computing the special retirement supplement. Only actual FERS service can be used in that computation.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. I am 58 and I have been working (34) years 29.5 years working as a nurse (,in and out of state facility) my current state job I have 5 year in how can I combine my year to make 10year and retire, I didn’t take a refund of my retirement contributions when i left ,

    • There is no provision in law that would allow you to combine your state or local service with your federal service.

  2. Tony motsenbocker on

    I have 20 years service and am age 60 as a US postal worker, Who is retiring soon. I have contacted social security and they told me my social security amount at age 62 would be $1120. I also worked for Santa Fe RR from 1977-1990, and have contacted them, my retirement would be $1657. I am confused as to what to use to calculate my fers special benefit. Could you please shed some light on this?

    • Your special retirement supplement will be based solely on your period of employment under FERS. That’s because it will be paid out of the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund, not the Social Security Fund.

Leave A Reply