Benefits upon re-employment


Q. I retired in March 2015 and presently receive a civil service annuity and Social Security. Can I return to the federal government and keep my annuity and Social Security check? I will be 67 years of age in April.

A. If you return to work when you’ve reached your full Social Security retirement age, which is 67, your Social Security benefit wouldn’t be affected. However, regardless of the age at which you retire, as a rule, the salary of your new position would be reduced by the amount of your annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply