Unreduced annuity


Q. I was born in 1962. Can I retire from FERS at age 55 with 30 years of service and receive an unreduced monthly annuity? Can I keep my FEHB coverage?

A. No, you can’t retire and receive an unreduced annuity at age 55. That’s because your minimum retirement age is 56. You could resign and apply for a referred annuity when you reach your MRA. However, you wouldn’t be able to reenroll in the FEHB program.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

1 Comment

  1. David McKay on

    Just wait one year till you turn 56, then you can retire immediately and retain your FEHB and FEGLI coverage into retirement!

Leave A Reply