Time in grade


Q. Do time-in-grade requirements apply to temporary promotions for less than 120 days? And if not, where can I find the regulation?

A. Yes, but only as long as you are converted to a permanent position without returning to the lower grade. If that’s the case, the time spent on a temporary promotion would be considered creditable service in the calculation of your next WGI. Processing a permanent promotion without moving you back to the lower graded position doesn’t change the date of the “equivalent increase.” Therefore, your waiting period would start on the date of the temporary promotion.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply