Earnings limit


Q. I am eligible to receive the special retirement supplement; however, I do receive rental income. Is rental income considered “ordinary income” that would reduce or eliminate the SRS?

A. No. Your special retirement supplement would only be reduced if you had earnings from wages or self-employment that exceeded the annual Social Security earnings limit. Other sources of income would have no affect on the SRS.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply