FEHB coverage


Q. I left federal service in 2006 with 22 years of service and was in FEHB at all times. If I can go back into federal service to regain eligibility for FEHB in retirement, what type of appointment need it be? And is there a minimum time of service before retiring from that reemployment at age 60 or older?

A. As long as you were enrolled in the FEHB program when you left government and signed up again when you returned in a position that provides that coverage, your enrollment would be considered to have been continuous. Since you already have at least five years of continuous coverage in the FEHB program, there is no rule governing how long you would have to be reemployed before you retired. However, simple courtesy suggests that it ought to be long enough to repay your new employer for having gone to the effort of hiring you.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


Leave A Reply