About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. Brenda E Brown on

    I am a federal retiree in the CSRS retiree program. I retired after 42 years of government service and an now 67 years of age. I am presently under my husband’s State of Maryland health plan. He is retired also now. During open season this year, we would like to change our health insurance plan to the Federal Government Blue Cross/Blue Insurance health plan. Can we do this? If yes, what is the monthly cost for it and tell me what would be the process and which forms do we need to submit to OPM? Thank you.

    • No, you can’t. While employees who meet the eligibility requirements can carry their FEHB coverage into retirement, the law doesn’t permit retirees to enroll in the program.

  2. I’m retired USAF, with tricare for life, age 69 yrs . Just remarried, wife is federal employee with blue cross/blue shield. No known health issues, would it be better for her to keep BC/BS, or drop it, and be placed on my tricare ??

    • I don’t know if it would be better. What I do know is that if you both decide it would be a good idea for her to be covered by Tricare, she should waive – not drop – her BC/BS coverage, not drop it. If she dropped it, she would be barred from re-enrolling at a later date.

Leave A Reply