Applying for a postponed retirement


Q. Where on the retirement application does one request postponement? I was told that to use MRA + 10 (24 years, age 56, which is my MRA) I would have to resign.

A. Your agency is correct. There isn’t a form for anyone who wishes to leave government and later apply for a deferred or postponed retirement. Instead, you’ll have to resign. When you’re ready to retire, complete the form you’ll find at and send it to the Office of Personnel Management.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply