About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. When the poster asks about government contributions to the “retirement fund”, is he/she asking about TSP or the defined contribution to FERS? If it is the TSP, he/she would get the government “contribution”. If it is the FERS defined annuity, you are exactly correct.

  2. sidney grant banks on

    my name is sidney grant banks and I got sick while working for the DOD !! had payed fo my army time and now no one can find my records . I payed $150 every two weeks from 2010 till 2015 !! I missed placed the letter of full payment of buy back time !!! is there any one that can help me find out how to get a copy of my payed ind full buy back letter

    • You should write the U.S. Office of Personnel Management, 1900 E Street, NW, Washington, DC 20415, Attention: Military Service Deposits. Provide them with your full name, date of birth, current agency, your branch of service and the beginning and ending dates of your active duty service.

  3. DFAS should have a record of your military deposits. If you use payroll deduction to buy the time back (instead of a lump sum payment), you or your Agency’s DFAS Coordinator must request the Paid in Full letter from DFAS. This is usually someone in the Payroll/Comptroller’s shop. There is also a number you can call at DFAS, 1-800-729-3277. Tell them you never received your Paid in Full letter. Once you have that, it needs to go in your eOPF or send a copy to OPM.
    Here is the DFAS page to read more about it: https://www.dfas.mil/civilianemployees/militaryservice/militaryservicedeposits.html

Leave A Reply