Deferred retirement


Q. I am 46 with 23 years of service. I want to resign, take another career path, and apply for deferred retirement at 60. I want to make sure I handle the paperwork correctly. Will there be any paperwork when I resign to reflect my intent of filling for deferred retirement 14 years later?

A. No, there won’t. All you’ll receive is a Standard Form 50 documenting your resignation.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply