FEHB benefits for disabled older children


Q. Does the FEHB offer an age extension for the coverage of disabled children? Do the rates increase when the child reaches age 22 and older?

A. An unmarried dependent child may continue to receive coverage under your FEHB plan as along as the child’s incapacity began before age 22. For more information, go to www.opm.gov/insure/health/reference/handbook/fehb28.asp and click on Child Incapable of Self Support.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply