The 80-percent limit


Q: If I retire CSRS after 41 years and 11 months of service, can I get an excess retirement contribution refund or purchase additional annuity over 80 percen?. Do I use entire contributions for the additional annuity calculations or just the amount over 80 percent?

A: Only the excess contributions may be used to purchase additional annuity. OPM will provide you with the exact amount when they process your retirement application.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply