Medicare Part B


Q. I’m retiring under CSRS on Dec. 31. I’m covered by Federal Employees Health Benefits. I intend to sign up for Part B and keep FEHB. My wife is under my FEHB and Medicare A/B. When would be the best time for me to sign up for Medicare Part B? Under Part B, how do I know what level of coverage I need under FEHB? Should I keep what I have now?

A. There is a seven-month initial enrollment period for Medicare Part B. It begins three months before you turn 65 and ends three months after that month. It’s up to you to decide when to enroll. Whether you need to alter your level of coverage under the FEHB is something you’ll have to decide for yourself after reviewing the benefits each provides. There is no single answer that fits everyone.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply