Where's my plaque?


Q. I’ve retired on disability and am 33 years old. I receive a measly $400 per month. I haven’t received my retirement plaque, let alone more pay. I receive $1,300 in Social Security. When I was working, I made over $53,000 per year. Where can I find a retirement lawyer for the federal government and why haven’t they sent me my plaque? I’ve been retired since 2011. I’ve been in appeal process with the Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs for my on-the-job injury.

A. To the best of my knowledge, no one receives a plaque when he retires on disability. Plaques are only given when an employee has put in a certain number of years of service — for example, 10, 20 or 30. And many agencies don’t give plaques, only certificates. If you believe your agency should have provided you with a plaque, you’ll have to follow up with them.

As a FERS disability retiree, for the first 12 months, you would have been entitled to 60 percent of your high-3 minus 100 percent of any Social Security disability benefit. After that, you would receive 40 percent of your high-3, minus 60 percent of any Social Security disability benefit. You’ll have to check your own numbers to see if they match. We are not able to recommend attorneys. If you feel you need one, you’ll have to do that on your own.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

1 Comment

Leave A Reply