Survivor benefits


Q. My husband was let go from civil service after 23 years of service. He worked from 1980 to 2003. He has since passed away. Did he have retirement benefits still available to him?

A. Your husband was a CSRS-covered employee. If he didn’t take a refund of his retirement contributions, you would be entitled to that money. To find out, call the Office of Personnel Management at (724) 754-2005 and talk to one of its benefits specialists.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply