Special retirement supplement


Q. I will have 21 years as a federal law enforcement officer when I retire. I will be 56 years old. I also have 15 years of military time that I bought back. Do the 15 years of military time also get calculated into my Social Security supplement or do I only get credit for the 21 years of federal LEO time?

A. The special retirement supplement is based solely on your actual FERS service, and is paid for by the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund, not the Social Security Administration.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply