Divorce and filing retirement papers


Q. I am planning to retire from civil service. I recently divorced and my spouse will not receive spousal annuity. Do I have to provide a copy of my divorce papers with my retirement papers indicating this?

A. Yes. If you don’t, your agency will think that you are still married and expect you to elect a full survivor benefit for him.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply