Military buyback and Social Security


Q. When my husband retired in 2000, we paid back his two years of military service with interest. We did this because he was asked if he thought he would file a claim under Social Security, which he did. Now that he is 64, we find out that he has to work 10 quarters before he can be eligible for Social Security. Can we get the money back from the Office of Personnel Management that we paid since he will not be able to collect his Social Security?

A. No, you can’t. What’s done is done.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply